Tuesday 17 March 2009

More Sport and stuff...

As if I don't have enough to do...

Somehow, and I'm not really sure how it has happened (peer pressure from my TKD teacher - thanks, Kerry! ;-) ), I've signed up for the Race for Life this year. For anyone who doesn't know, this is an annual "women only" event (I'm not really sure why it is women only - Wikipedia says that it was originally set up to promote awareness of women's cancer, and there is a Run for Moore which is men only.), to raise money for Cancer Research UK.

So - in the summer, (June 13th to be precise...), I'm going to be running 5K (3.1 miles for those who deal in old money). Not a huge distance, I'll be the first to admit. But, my general length of run is either slowly once round a hockey pitch (there's a very good reason that I'm the goalkeeper, and it doesn't just involve general insanity or a love of being pelted with hard balls), or a sprint up to the station gates, down the steps and back up the other side, just in time to see the train pull away.

I had my first training run today with my friend Alice (who is also doing the Race for Life). Well, really, a training walk with an occasional break into a jog... But good enough for a first go :-) Hopefully in the next three months, I'll be able to train up to running the full 5K :-)

Obviously, the aim of the race is to raise money for Cancer Research. So, if anyone fancies looking at my fundraising page, the address is:
http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/jotoon ;-)

In other news - anyone who enjoys classical music and comedy should check out this link to the BBC Radio 3 Classic Relief - a concert done for Comic Relief - it is fantastic!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00j199y

No comments: