Tuesday 21 August 2007

Nervous

Tomorrow, I will be using my sign language for the first time since I took my exams, and for the first time in a non-social / classroom context. And I'm bricking it!

Work is recruiting for a developer, and a Deaf applicant has been invited to interview. It took me quite a while to persuade one of the directors in charge of this recruitment that I was not qualified enough to actually interpret for him! But I have been asked (and I'm happy to) to do a "Meet and Greet" - ask about coffees, explain where the toilets are etc. The problem is that I've forgotten so many basic signs! I'm going to have to spend this evening on t'internet practicing...

But I'm a little bit excited, as well :-)

2 comments:

Strabec said...

Well your employer getting you to do it is a lot cheaper than than actually hiring someone offical. That would cost them money. Being cynical I would say that is probably why they agreed to interview a deaf person to start with, but I am sure that was not in their minds... Either way good luck with the signing! I'm sure you'll do fine!

Jo said...

Ah, no, the person choosing to interview didn't know that I did BSL. So that one is ok - but I did have to point out that using me to do any type of interpreting would leave us open to a discrimination claim...
Thanks for the luck! :)