Monday 11 January 2010

Fingers crossed, please...

Well, the offices are slowly coming back after the Christmas holidays, and I had a phone call today from a government ministry who would like me to go in for an interview at O Dark o'clock on Wednesday. (I didn't think that government departments opened before 9!!) It's for a job that I'd love to do - essentially working on the "other side of the fence" to the role that I had in the UK, assisting with the creation of tenders and contracts within the Ministry, and then monitoring the suppliers once they have won the contract. I know that I can do it, and do it well - the trick is now to convince the interviewers!

So, please keep your fingers crossed very tightly for me at 7.30pm GMT on Tuesday (8.30 am Wednesday New Zealand time) - now I need to go and actually read what I put on my CV and application form! ;-)

In other news, we have had a great couple of days with Judy and Scott who came down from Auckland for a Wellington visit. They came over for Sunday lunch - my first bit of formal entertaining in the new house, and, even with a couple of minor issues (the stuffed chicken breasts took an hour to cook instead of 20 minutes - lesson learned that they shouldn't be piled on top of each other, and we had mismatching cutlery and crockery (particularly glasses and pudding dishes - I had my pudding on a pyrex lid!), I think it all went very well - we had a really great time. Then John and I went into Wellington today to meet up with them, and we spent the day strolling round the Te Papa museum, and chatting a lot more! (Scott and John didn't get much of a word in edgeways with Judy and me chattering away :-) ) We also went up the Cable car and had a little bit of a wander in the Botanical Gardens, with a very friendly young sparrow, who had obviously only just been pushed out of the nest - he came up to us whilst we were on a bench, hopped to our feet and opened his mouth! Unfortunately, by the time I could slip past and get some seeds from the grass to feed him, he had flown away and only came back to bother some other tourists. I'm sure he will do very well if he learns to target the workers when they are out eating their sandwiches!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fingers and toes are tightly crossed
S x

Strabec said...

Good luck! My fingers are crossed!

R J Adams said...

Well, it's now Wednesday in America and I've only just read this. Does your lack of a follow-up mean you're too drunk from drowning sorrows, or have the celebratory champagne bubbles taken their toll? I do hope it was the latter.

Jo said...

Thanks all :-)

RJ - I was in the middle of posting my follow up when you messaged - you have good timing ;-)